7.02.2006

HoX Beer Review #2: Fat Tire Amber Ale

Tonight's Beer: Fat Tire Amber Ale


Miss Barbara and I went to the Cheesecake Fac'ry for a little dinner. Unintending to review a beer tonight, I ordered a Fat Tire Ale, from New Belgium Brewery in Fort Collins, CO. I've heard either recent radio ads for it, or I've heard friends talk about it, so I was swayed by outside influences. It's a Belgian-style ale, and seeing as how I enjoy my Belgian Ales, how could I not like this? "Belgian-style" is just the same as "Belgian," right? When I noticed the "Belgian-style," I immediately made this analogy:

Belgian-style Ale : Belgian Ale :: Processed Cheese Food : Cheese

I was actually surprised when this ale turned out to be good. Usually I'll order a beer I've never had before, and 9 times out of 10, it's not good, or at least not up to my standards. Drinkable, but not enjoyable. This beer was different. I like a beer with a fair amount of malt and hops flavor, and this had it in spades. You know that caramel-y flavor that some ales have? That aspect of the flavor was what sold me on this beer. There's some bitterness also, but I like that. It's not too bitter, so don't worry if you're not into that. A caramel & malt flavor profile is something that really endears me to a beer. If I had to say anything bad about it, it's that it only tastes a little bit like what I've come to expect from a Belgian ale.

If you're looking for something new to try, and something you can probably get at nearly any supermarket (or at least a TJ's, or BevMo), go for a Fat Tire Amber Ale. I'd buy it again. It gets Four out of Five.

Expect around $3 for the 22 oz. bad boy you see here, and around $8 for a sixer.

3 comments:

KPL said...

You drink beer? That's so gross.

Jeff said...

Gross like a fox.

JQ said...

thats good but i think the new beligum seasonal taste better. my work should have it out there. its called "skinny dip". Also the new beligum 1554 is pretty tasty too.