9.03.2006

HoX Beer Review #8: Reaper Redemption Red Ale

Reaper Redemption Red Ale, ReaperAle.com



Tonight is a good night. For dinner, I chose In & Out, a California original. To pair with my 3x3 and fries, The Big Lebowski on DVD created and filmed in LA, and Reaper Ale's Redemption Red Ale, made in Vista, CA. When I saw this one on the shelf, the huge Grim Reaper caught my eye. Then when I saw it's a California beer, I had to buy it (at a price point of $3.29 @ BevMo). I haven't done a local beer yet, and it's time to give my favorite place in the world it's fair shake.

Made in Vista, CA, (70 miles south of my place, on Hwy 78 between I-5 & I-15) the Reaper brewery makes only ales... except for their Mortality Stout, but that's another review. The Redemption Red Ale is deep red in color. It's strikingly red. Not cloudy. Just a beautiful sea of red between you and whatever's on the other side of your glass.

My first glass begins with a thick, tan head. And it holds a head well. It's got this pungent, sweet hop bouquet in the nose, then the deep hops and caramel on the palate. The aromatics of this beer are incredible immediately go bitter. If you're not into bitter beers, stay away from the Reaper, you baby. If bitter's your thing, go out tomorrow and buy this beer. Show your taste buds who's boss by kicking them in the balls.

I'm on my second glass, and it's even better than the first. This ale is rich, flavorful, and bold. The facets of this beer are what make it worth drinking: The bold aroma, the strong hop flavor, and the aftertaste of spice and bitter. This ale is aggressive. No mistake. It's not your dad's foil-capped pilsner. It has bite, and it bites you hard. Two minutes after a pull, I can still taste it, and it's calling me back for more. This beer is the reason why I started doing these reviews.


1.0 is perfect in each category,
0.1 is the complete opposite of perfect.
Use your imagination for everything between.
The perfect beer would be scored "4.0/4"

Reaper Redemption Red Ale

Appearance: 1.0

Aroma: 1.0

Taste: .9

Mouthfeel: .9

3.8/4

No comments: