1.30.2007

HoX Beer Review #11: Hitachino Nest Beer White Ale

Hitachino Nest Beer White Ale

What do I think I know about White Ales?

My most recent taste of a white ale leads me to think that they're similar to Hefeweizen, in that it's a wheat ale. Less of an amber color, more of a light golden color. I'm assuming that White Ales are filtered, while Hefs aren't. They're usually not clear, I'm thinking there will be a fair amount of opacity, but not 100%. Now, I've only had two memorable whites before this one (that I know of): Hoegarten at the Yardhouse, at the recommend of Steve Liu. The other I tasted at work when the Samuel Adams rep brought in some different varieties of Sam Adams to taste.

The color is much more golden than I expected, with a solid white foam on top. It's transclucent, giving enough clarity to see "Pilsner Urquell" on the opposite side of my glass. The initial scent is a little bit of orange, with some clove. It's not too strong, but definitely on the orange side.

The scent is surprisingly indicative of the taste. Good on Kiuchi Brewery for managing that. The taste reminds me of orange pekoe tea, actually. Tea that's steeped a bit too long. It's a smooth beer, with a somewhat flat feel in the mouth. This beer isn't bad...

Okay, enough pussyfooting around with the academic stuff. I bought this beer because the store was out of the Red Rice Ale I love so much. I said, "hey, another Hitachino Nest Beer! It's got to taste as good as Red Rice!" so I gave it a try. I'm not exaggerating when I say I truly am disappointed by this beer. It was this beer's older, prettier, better-tasting cousin that really kickstarted my love for doing these reviews. I think if I had started with this beer instead, these may very well have ended at #3. it's not fair to this beer to compare it against another beer of the same company, but it's just not a good beer. This beer has won international acclaim according to the Kiuchi website. Apparently, I'd make a terrible international beer competition judge. I honestly can't see myself buying it ever again, and I just can't give it a good review.

1.0 is perfect in each category,
0.1 is the complete opposite of perfect.
Use your imagination for everything between.
The perfect beer would be scored "4.0/4"

Hitachino Nest Beer White Ale, 5.0% ABV.

Appearance: .6

Aroma: .5

Taste: .4

Mouthfeel: .5

2.0/4

No comments: