3.19.2007

Here's a little something you may not've known about me.

This blog was taken from my post to a thread about religion.

I was raised Jewish, went to Temple for High Holidays, & always lit Hanukkah candles. I'm Bar Mitzvah, and never really asked questions about my faith. Until high school, when I started learning about Buddhism & Hinduism, and generally became aware of this entire new universe of belief I had no clue even existed, Christianity included. I started adopting bits and pieces of other beliefs (ethics & morality, mostly), and asking questions of my own religion; questions that I wasn't sure I wanted to know the answer to at the tender age of 16. I read about, and studied as best I could as many religions as interested me. I tried to see my world through many different sets of eyes. I learned through all my studies that, through to the core, I am a Jew, and there's nothing in this universe that will ever change that. I tend to consider that my spiritual "birth," since I spent around 18 years in the spiritual "womb."

I have learned a lot about my belief in Judaism over the last decade. I tend to believe that Judaism is constantly evolving with the times, and within myself, and I believe that scripture can and should be interpreted as such. I believe in the existence of God. That is to say, I have faith in God and that God exists, but that's pretty much where it ends. I do believe that God & I have a similar sense of humor. Things happen (or don't happen) because of my actions, and I'm also a very strong believer in Karma. As for the Universe, it's like the song says: "Life flows on within you and without you."

I lean somewhere between Humanistic Judaism & Reconstructionist Judaism. I'm discovering more and more that I'm not the only Jew who interprets Judaism the way I do. Though I personally don't know anyone else who feels the way I do, it's good to know I'm not alone. I also attempt to keep at least a little Kosher by never eating pork. For years I followed kashrut more closely than I do now, but I just can't resist the draw of a good cheeseburger.


Feel free to add and ask questions, but if you're going to be an ass, please remember that silence is golden.

3 comments:

Pia said...

I get how you feel. I really enjoy exploring Buddhism and other Eastern religions, but I still consider myself a Catholic.

barb said...

have you read "living buddha, living christ" pia?

Pia said...

Hmmmmmmmm. Probably not!

But I saved a bug the other day. Which makes me kind of spiritual, right?