9.04.2007

Bookworm Chronicles

You've all seen my little snippet blogs of what I'm reading. I've not really reviewed because when I have the chance, I'm lazy and don't. I'm gonna make this quick. Yiddish Policemen's Union was quite good, though there's one part in the book that rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not sure I want to get into it. It's an issue with deus ex machina. Harry Potter 7 was great, too. Barb & I have been talking about it tonight. We agree it's a good finale. At one point, I thought the story moved VERY slow, then it took off and was enthralling until the end. I've been wanting to reread the last 1/4 or so, in hopes that it'd sink in a little better.

On the docket now is God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, by Vonnegut. I love it so far. I just wish I had the time to read it with the fervor I read Harry Potter. I'm also hoping to finish Hagakure before my next Amazon shipment comes.

Once that comes, I've got The Coming of Conan, recommended to me by a guy named St. Bastard, who I met at Comic Con. It's the original writing of Robert E. Howard, who was a pretty prolific fantasy writer in his day. He created the Conan character, as well as a ton of other characters. It's his Conan I'm most interested in, tho. Dark Horse's Conan series is one of my top pics whenever I buy comics, and they're amazing stories, based on Howard's original works.

World War Z, an Oral History of the Zombie War, from what I hear, is about the world's fight against the zombie uprising, told in first person accounts. I'll get more in depth after I read it, but it seems incredibly fucking interesting. Written by the same guy who did the Zombie Survival Guide, but this one's no parody.

And to round it all out, The Unfettered Mind: Writings of the Zen Master to the Sword Master. I need more Zen in my life. Plus, I've been a poor Aikidoka lately. It'd be nice to get some fresh perspective on things.

No comments: