8.18.2008

They call it a 'cutthroat razor' for a reason...

For the last month, I've been using a disposable-blade straight razor. A Dovo Shavette is a straight razor with blades you can replace when they dull, instead of trying to sharpen & maintain a true razor. I've been on a shaving kick since Chris and Eric started wet-shaving (using lather & water, instead of electric shaving) with a double edged safety razor , more than a month ago (even longer for Eric).

I didn't want to use a double edged razor, because I just feel they're unsafe. I mean, they're called safety razors for a reason, but they're just not my bag. I'm more the kind of guy to jump in headfirst on a higher difficulty level, and make it look easy. The Shavette seemed like the easy way to start out. I get the experience of a straight razor for $35, without having to invest in a real straight razor (and all the accoutrement), plus a pack of disposable blades costs $8, with 20 blades in all. That's 20 fresh shaves per package. I bought soap & a brush, pre-shave treatment, & aftershave, too. My shaves were, on average, pretty good. There were days I wasn't able to get close enough for the baby's butt smooth shave, and there were days where I tore the shit out of my face. On most days, I'd nick or cut myself a couple times, but have a smooth, confident shave that I was proud of when it was all said and done.

I've been on BadgerAndBlade.com, trying to learn all I can about the art of wet-shaving. I've got my skill down with making lather from shaving soap, and I've been reading about what razors to consider buying as my first real straight razor. From what I've read, the Dovo Special from my previous post is to be one of the best starter razors for the price. For my birthday, Dawn got one for me. The site she ordered it from hones and strops their blades so they're shave ready. I bought myself a strop (a strap of leather used to maintain & clean the blade and keep it sharp). The strop came Saturday and the razor came today. I'm ready to shave.





Since I already had the basic shaving movements down, the shave with the Dovo Special went pretty smoothly. I was surprised at how easy the easy parts were (cheeks, middle neck), and how much more tricky the tough parts were (jawbone corners & jawline). My experience with a Dovo Shavette showed me that I really do like straight shaving, and it showed me how to go about shaving. I'm glad I went with the Shavette before a true straight, and I know I'll need to retrain myself to get a truly nice shave with the Special. This whole routine has been an enjoyable variation in my normal routine, though. If you've ever wanted to try shaving with a straight razor, and can commit the time to it each morning (or each evening), do yourself a favor and try something manly.

No comments: