11.08.2008

Why online classes are dumb

I have to submit a topic for my online Adolescence class project by tomorrow. We have to do a Power Point presentation on a book or film with an adolescent main character. My initial idea was to use Ultimate Spider-Man as a topic, since Peter Parker is 14 in the story. From my Professor's reply email:

Jeff,
You really need to choose a book or a movie that is a realistic fiction. It is challenging enough for adolescents to deal with all that normal adolescents deal with –but to add something like superpowers that is not realistic. You present a challenging case but you need to pick another topic for your final project.

Browsing the list of topics other people have submitted, I came across Mirrormask by Neil Gaiman. IMDb's quick synopsis says:
"In a fantasy world of opposing kingdoms, a 15-year old girl must find the fabled MirrorMask in order to save the kingdom and get home."

Uh huh. Another topic was a movie called Kiki's Delivery Service. Wikipedia says:
"Kiki is a 13-year-old witch-in-training, living in a small rural village where her mother is the resident herbalist. The film opens at the time traditional for Kiki to leave her home to spend a year alone in a new town to establish herself as a full witch. Kiki therefore flies off on her mother's broom with her closest companion, Jiji, a loquacious black cat."

You can imagine how I feel. I Am Sam was also chosen by a classmate. I Am Sam is about a mentally challenged adult with a 7 year-old mental age who tried to get custody of his daughter, who is 7 or 8. Where's the adolescent in this equation? Also, Mean Girls was chosen 4 times by 4 different people. Are you kidding me?

So here are my other choices for topics:
-Drumline
-Juno
-Scott Pilgrim (23 y/o adult main character)

I would really like to use Scott Pilgrim. It's a great story. And I own it. At least Juno is On Demand.

No comments: