2.24.2009

One last sour aftertaste left by the cancellation of 97.1 FM

This morning, Tom Leykis was on KTLA Morning News. I've been a fan of Tom's for a long time now, even bestowing his Leykis 101 wisdom on friends who came to me, looking for advice with girl trouble. Last Friday, when all the shows were having their farewell broadcasts, Frank of Frosty, Heidi & Frank went on a rant about how the all-talk format could've remained if the entire staff had taken a pay cut. According to Frank, everyone agreed to sacrifice their salaries for listener benefit. Everyone except Tom Leykis. Now, it could be a lie, but Frank was pretty emotional when he said what he said. I've been a huge FHF fan for seven years, so I'm happy to give Frank the benefit of the doubt. Tom Leykis didn't budge with his salary, so thousands of fans are suffering from the change of format.

I've been listening to a combination of 88.1 KJAZZ, 95.5 KLOS (Classic Rock), and Kevin & Bean on 106.7 KIIS FM in the morning to make up for the loss of Adam Carolla. Every time I'm in the car, I want to glue my ears shut. Needless to say, I am not much of a fan of Tom's now, considering I'm holding him personally responsible for the loss of my favorite radio station.

Like I was saying, Tom Leykis was on KTLA Morning News this morning. I was half asleep, having not slept through the night, and I heard this familiar voice. I've had this mental picture of Tom for a while now. Older white guy, a little overweight, but not fat looking, with hair cut short and close to the head. DL Hughley had a show called Weekends at the DL where Tom was once a guest, and he matched my mental image. Today, on KTLA, there was this greasy-headed, fat slob, looking every bit of 320 pounds claiming to be Tom Leykis. I didn't listen to a word he had to say. I couldn't get past the image of the blob, dressed in all black and wearing sunglasses, sitting comfortably after the demise of the best thing on LA radio.

Will I be a fan if Tom comes back to the radio? I don't know. His show was always entertaining, albeit repetitive. I'll probably listen, but more in the background than before. This isn't something I have to worry about for a while, though. During his farewell show, he said he'd take a couple years to pursue ventures in other media. That's fine with me. Just give me back Frosty, Heidi & Frank.

No comments: