3.22.2009

What Lucid Dreams May Come

Two years ago at Comic Con, I briefly met a Suicide Girl by the name of Bee Jellyfish. She signed the book I bought at their booth, and couldn't've been nicer to me and the guys. When I got home from San Diego, I signed up for SuicideGirls.com. Through some crazy twist of fate, she began to IM me. When we IM'd, we talked about a lot of things, like relationships, religion, work, death of close pets, and something Bee believed in called lucid dreaming. From Wikipedia:

A lucid dream is a dream in which the person is aware that they are dreaming while the dream is in progress, also known as a conscious dream.

This took Bee from status as a neat friend to someone who, in my opinion, was in tune to something seriously profound. If I were to talk to her today, I don't know if she'd remember me, but it would be cool if she did.

Lately I've been going through episodes where I feel like the life I'm living is a dream. Not a dream in the euphemistic sense, like where eating a #13 at Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles is a 'dream,' but a dream in the sense that my perception, just for a second, thinks the things happening to me aren't real. At school, I don't usually have this feeling. At home with Dawn & Willy, I have this feeling in the most positive sense; I love the idea that I have a budding family, and I love spending time with Dawn when the two of us have nothing to do. It's the other times of my life that feel like they couldn't possibly be real. Particularly during professional endeavors (work), and driving.

I've begun the process of attempting to elicit lucid dreaming. Bee prescribed me to attempt effect change in reality while I'm awake. Like asking the walls to melt or turn purple every hour (or maybe more often than that). The idea is that if you're dreaming, the walls will melt when you ask them to, because you control your dreams. That means in reality, they won't, because you don't control reality. You ask yourself regularly, so you develop the capacity to ask the walls to melt while you're sleeping. When they do, you're in control, and you can then effect change in the dreamscape. I'm hoping to develop this process of lucid dreaming at some point. I just asked my computer to change colors, to no avail. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: