4.30.2009

Swine Flu?! What's next, zombies?

So the entire world is freaking out about this swine flu. The World Health Organization (WHO) officially called it a "Global Pandemic" yesterday. Pandemic means "epidemic over a wide geographic area and affecting a large proportion of the population." This is the first medical pandemic since SARS and the Avian Flu, and lucky me, I'm geographically right in the middle of this one. Schools are closing, and the world is in freak-out-and-overreact mode to prevent the spread of this swine flu. Egypt is culling it's entire pig population, even though people aren't catching it directly from pigs. W.H.O. is watching Spain for a community-level outbreak, which will take it to the highest pandemic warning level possible. If I could ask, no one breathe on me, no one cough on me, and wash your damn hands before shaking mine. I just hope people with this swine flu are smart enough to stay out of my restaurant.

No comments: